So, this is what else I did with a pumpkin. Unfortunately, it only takes care of 1 pumpkin, instead of 3 or 4.
But, it was worth it and VERY nummy. Although, there are going to be a few "customary" changes to it when I make it again. And believe me, we will make it again. Did I mention it was yummy?
Gabe gave it his approval.
Found it in Jeremy's Western Cowman magazine.
Harvest Heapin's Fall Stew
2 lbs. lean beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 T. vegetable oil
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 T. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. sugar
1 c dried apricots
3 white potatoes, peeled, diced
3 sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
2 c. beef broth
1 med. pumpkin
melted butter
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. dry sherry
1 (16 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
Cook the beef, onion and garlic in the oil in a stockpot until the beef is browned. Add the tomatoes, green pepper, 1 T. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, sugar, apricots, potatoes, sweet potatoes and broth and mix well. Simmer, covered, for 1 hr.
Cut off and discard the pumpkin top. Scoop out the seeds and stringy membrane. Brush the inside of the pumpkin with butter. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir the sherry and corn into the stew. Spoon into the pumpkin shell. Place the pumpkin in a shallow baking pan. Bate at 325 for 1 hr. or until the pumpkin pulp is tender.
Place the pumpkin in a large bowl to stabilize it on the table. Ladle the stew into individual bowls, scooping out some of the pumpkin with each serving of stew.
Yield: 6 servings....makes more than that!!!!
Anyway, what I did do different, and what I would do different if I were to make it again:
I put the stew meet and 4 c. boiling water in crock pot, adding a bunch of granulated beef bullion (at about 9 am). I really like my stew meat to fall apart.
At about 2:30, I added all the rest of the things, (I would chop the apricots) like the recipe called for. If I were to make it again, I would only put in 2 potatoes, and 1 sweet potato (there were just too many for my taste, and not enough broth).
Also, instead of draining the corn, I added the entire can to the stew and omitted the sherry. I don't care for the taste that it gives things. I also added a little more water and a little more bullion (sp?) here to taste. It was a little salty, but by the time the potatoes cooked, it was just perfect. I also cooked it for 1 1/2 hr. or so. Anyway, WAY GOOD!!!! And did I mention, it used up a pumpkin?
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 T. vegetable oil
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 T. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. sugar
1 c dried apricots
3 white potatoes, peeled, diced
3 sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
2 c. beef broth
1 med. pumpkin
melted butter
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. dry sherry
1 (16 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
Cook the beef, onion and garlic in the oil in a stockpot until the beef is browned. Add the tomatoes, green pepper, 1 T. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, sugar, apricots, potatoes, sweet potatoes and broth and mix well. Simmer, covered, for 1 hr.
Cut off and discard the pumpkin top. Scoop out the seeds and stringy membrane. Brush the inside of the pumpkin with butter. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir the sherry and corn into the stew. Spoon into the pumpkin shell. Place the pumpkin in a shallow baking pan. Bate at 325 for 1 hr. or until the pumpkin pulp is tender.
Place the pumpkin in a large bowl to stabilize it on the table. Ladle the stew into individual bowls, scooping out some of the pumpkin with each serving of stew.
Yield: 6 servings....makes more than that!!!!
Anyway, what I did do different, and what I would do different if I were to make it again:
I put the stew meet and 4 c. boiling water in crock pot, adding a bunch of granulated beef bullion (at about 9 am). I really like my stew meat to fall apart.
At about 2:30, I added all the rest of the things, (I would chop the apricots) like the recipe called for. If I were to make it again, I would only put in 2 potatoes, and 1 sweet potato (there were just too many for my taste, and not enough broth).
Also, instead of draining the corn, I added the entire can to the stew and omitted the sherry. I don't care for the taste that it gives things. I also added a little more water and a little more bullion (sp?) here to taste. It was a little salty, but by the time the potatoes cooked, it was just perfect. I also cooked it for 1 1/2 hr. or so. Anyway, WAY GOOD!!!! And did I mention, it used up a pumpkin?
1 comment:
We do a similar recipe with hamburger and rice. My kids love it! We eat it all year round but with butternut squash on the side instead of in a pumpkin. I'll have to e-mail it to you if you want it!
Post a Comment